Missouri West Water System
The Missouri West Water System, a political subdivision of the Morton County Water Resource District, is the result of a culmination of work by the people of Morton County over the past 30 years. Early efforts to build a system failed primarily for a lack of funding.
In 1988-1989 a new effort was begun when money became available, appropriated through congress, to fund the Garrison Municipal, Rural and Industrial program. The program was intended to assist in building rural water systems when the Missouri River dams were constructed. With 65% of the funding provided by grant money from the MR&I program and the remaining 35% from local funding; it was possible to build.
Funds were distributed through the State Water Commission, the Garrison Conservancy District and the Morton County Water Resource Board members who are appointed by the Morton County Commission.
Construction of the rural water system began in 1993 on the area north of the Heart River and was completed in late 1994. During this first phase of construction, 480 individual users were added along with the bulk users,
The City of Almont, The City of New Salem, and two housing cooperatives. In 1998, with the completion of the design, construction of the second service area began.
The Missouri West Water System consists of three service areas in Morton County based on geography:
1) An area North of the Heart River extending west to Almont
2) South of the Heart River including Ft. Rice and Flasher
3) Western Morton County from about the Blue Grass Hills to the Stark County line. This third area was to be included in the Southwest Water Pipeline Project due to land elevations.
The rates for the system are comprised of two parts. The base rate of $40.00, which is used for payment of principal and interest on the loan acquired to build the system, emergency fund reserves and some administration. The per thousand water rates cover the expenses of operations and maintenance. The average user on the system has a monthly total water bill (base fees + water) of between fifty and sixty dollars. The bills are generated from this office each month. Subscribers send in meter readings along with payment stubs each month.
The office is located at 2816 37 St. NW, along with Mor-Gran-Sou, in Mandan, ND. Business hours are Monday to Thursday from 7:00 to 3:30; Fridays we close at noon. We have five employees. The General Manager, Lead Operator, two system operators and the office manager. We rely on a telephone answering machine to take your messages after business hours and on rare occasions when the office cannot be staffed during normal business hours.
After business hours call:
|Craig Keidel||Dusty Hadley||Hunter Schlosser|
|Lead Operator||System Operator||System Operator|
|Cell: 701-391-3853||Cell: 701-202-2466||Cell: 701-400-1912|
Please call if you have questions or concerns. We rely on your reports to notify us of system problems.
|Karin Garvie, General Manager||Craig Keidel, Foreman||Carrie Schaner, Administrative Manager|
|Dusty Hadley, System Operator||Hunter Schlosser, System Operator|
Board of Directors
|Wade Bachmeier, Chairman||Mandan, ND|
|Jamie Wetsch, Vice Chairman||Mandan, ND|
|George Saxowsky, Director||Hebron, ND|
|James Schmidt, Director||Mandan, ND|
|Bruce Engelhardt, Director||Mandan, ND|